We all discover narcissists everywhere—in our boardrooms, with spouses, ex-spouses, members of the family, bosses, co-workers, friends. Many people don’t expect to discover them among psychic mentors and gurus. A number of years back the fantastic sociologist, Christopher Wenig aufregend prophetically announced: “In a dying culture, narcissism looks to embody—in the fabrication of personal ‘growth’ and ‘awareness’—the highest attainment of spiritual enlightenment. ” Various of us make the assumption that if an individual has theological qualifications or training in psychic disciplines, he or the lady is authentic. One of the most dangerous kinds of narcissism are perpetrated by spiritual teachers and gurus. Signs of a Narcissist
There are numerous styles and levels of narcissistic spiritual gurus as there are spiritual moves. They range from the itinerant preacher type a la Elmer Gantry to the most educated, highly trained those who create worldwide movements and success through their foundations, seminars, numerous books, dvds, cds, and media appearances. Being honored in the world will not mean that the individual cannot be a narcissistic spiritual guru who brings psychological and budgetary problems for others.
The narcissistic guru (male or female) is often active and charismatic. He magnetizes individuals to him with an irresistible persona that conveys that he owns unique spiritual gifts and has access to secrets that will lead to raised levels of awareness. The skilled narcissistic master assesses which individuals will be receptive to becoming a member of his spiritual circle. This individual fixates his attention on the possible member, connecting to him that this individual is special and vital. These gurus use captivating eye contact. Their motions, tone of voice, all of their nonverbal signs are focused on their target. Narcissistic spiritual teachers are superb actors (who often believe their own performances). They appeal to that part individuals that is emotionally vulnerable, sense deprived or unworthy. A few of us are seeking a magic key or formula that will lead us beyond suffering—that spirit voice that wants to feel omnipotent, without limits—godlike. All of those who fall under the mean of the narcissistic religious guru are not unaware or na? ve. The high-level narcissistic spiritual instructor possesses dynamic and instinctive powers that seduce and fool many people. Irrespective of their allure and appealing promises, there are alert signs that a psychic teacher is more dedicated to making himself powerful and affluent than assisting his devotees:
1. Pay out attention to the money barometer. Does the master charge exorbitant fees for his services?
2. Is usually there continuing pressure located on members to subscribe for ongoing expensive programs? The not so hidden concept here is: the more courses you take with us, the holier you will become. This can be known as pay to pray or pay to be holy religious scheme.
3. Another statement is that devotees often venerate the guru, reflexively obeying him. Having recently been deluded by their charming leader, they are really no much longer capable of independent thinking.
4. The narcissistic religious guru often uses his closest followers as maids who perform free work force,, labor force: going on special tasks, cleaning their residences, organizing public events. The dedicated devotee considers these desires as a privilege and evidence that they carry an honored place in the guru’s hierarchy.
5. Narcissists play favorites. They will pit one member against another to keep up ultimate electric power and control of their members.
6. Devotees are often mistreated. The tiniest mistake can cause unsightly scenes of humiliation facing other group members.
six. Followers who question the spiritual leader or are considered dangerous rivals are excommunicated from the group.
8. The narcissistic expert behaves very differently in his personal life than among his devotees. This individual is often extremely personal indulgent, materialistic, greedy, and in some cases, uses drugs and alcohol to excess. He may employ in sexual exploitation with compliant devotees who are emotionally dependent and susceptible and psychologically fused with him.